If the Boot Configuration Data store is missing, becomes corrupted, or isn’t properly configured, Windows won’t be able to start and you’ll see BOOTMGR is Missing or a similar error message pretty early on in the boot process.
The error message will usually include the suggestion that you will need to use the recovery tools on your installation media like DVD or USB to repair and recover your Windows installation.
Fortunately, your data isn’t lost forever and you can get it back with an effective data recovery solution when you get the error message. Now with the help of third-party software-MiniTool Power Data Recovery, you can solve the problem with ease.
Recover Data from BCD Missing Windows
If you get an error message when you start Windows 10/8/7: “The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors,” you don’t need to worry about data loss. An easy solution to a BCD issue is to simply rebuild it, which you can do automatically with the bootrec command.
Rebuild the BCD in Windows by using the Bootrec.exe tool
1) Insert the Windows bootable drive and boot from it.
2) Select your language preferences, and click Next.
3) After selecting language, press Shift + F10 to open command prompt.
4) Type the following commands and press Enter after each of them:
bootrec.exe /Rebuildbcd bootrec.exe /Fixmbr bootrec.exe /Fixboot
5) Type the following commands in cmd if the above command fails:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd
6) Type exit and press Enter.
7) Finally, restart your PC.
If this method still cannot fix the Boot Configuration Data file is missing in Windows 10, then you can try MiniTool Power Data Recovery to fix the BCD is missing issue.
1) First, you need to download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery on another computer.
2) Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery, and then click this icon in the bottom of the main interface. After that, follow wizards to create bootable CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
3) Boot your PC whose BCD is missing from the MiniTool bootable disk to get the MiniTool PE Loader interface as shown below.
4) Select MiniTool Power Data Recovery to get the following window.
5) Now, select Damaged Partition Recovery to recover lost data from Windows whose Boot Configuration Data file is missing.
6) Select the drive you want to recover and then click on Full Scan button at the lower right corner to begin full scanning on the device. Here, you can click on Settings feature and then specify needed file system (such as FAT12/16/32, NTFS, and NTFS+) and file types (including Documents, Archive, Graphics/Picture, Audio, E-mail, Database and other files) before scanning.
7) Select all needed files, and click on Save button to store them on a safe place. Here, since you cannot boot your Windows because the Boot Configuration Data file is missing, you can try saving all needed files in a healthy removable drive.
Actually, there are more ways out there to solve the issue. You may feel free to check the methods out.