The Energy & Natural Resources Market Reports has been published today. It provides updated in 2018 year analysis of energy & natural resources industries.
The global market for lithium ion batteries is a fast growing one and is expected to cross $30 billion by 2020. It continues to advance as high power and high capacity cells increase penetration into large-format applications. Vying for market adoption, the lithium-ion chemistry competes heavily with established energy storage technologies, such as lead acid, in many of these applications. However, key performance characteristics have enabled lithium-ion to increase market penetration, resulting in growth opportunities.
Currently most lithium-ion batteries are used in consumer electronic devices like mobile phones and notebook PCs. However, moving forward expansion is likely for automotive products used in Electric Vehicles and in storage applications.
Lithium-ion batteries for storage have come into the spotlight due to the electricity supply issues resulting from the eastern Japan earthquake and the global efforts to embrace smart grids. With domestic and overseas lithium-ion battery makers entering the markets for storage systems, the market for lithium-ion batteries for storage is beginning to take off. However, currently the storage market is in its infancy, so market growth will take time.
TDK Corporation, Samsung SDI Co. Ltd., LG, Panasonic, Hitachi, are some the biggest players in the industry. In recent years in the consumer electronics market, South Korean firms have been aggressively winning market share thanks to the weak won and impressive cost competitiveness. In contrast, Japanese and Chinese firms have struggled. With the market getting more competitive, a succession of Japanese firms in particular has been pushing production shifts to China.
This research presents an analysis of the Global Market for Lithium-Ion Batteries. The report covers the following:
– An understanding of what lithium-ion batteries are is included to set the stage for understanding the importance of such advanced batteries in the global battery market. We analyze the structure of lithium-ion batteries, the materials used such as cathode materials, anode materials, separators, amongst others. Manufacturing processes and performance analysis as compared with other storage types is also included.
– An analysis of the global Lithium-Ion Battery market includes an industry overview, analysis of the supply-demand scenario, industry segmentation by automotive lithium-ion batteries, storage batteries, and lithium-ion batteries used in consumer electronics. A look at the industry structure and trends in technology completes this section.
– An analysis of the major battery materials used such as cathode and anode materials, electrolytic solutions and separators is included. We also analyze the market share of the various players involved in the production of battery materials.
– An analysis of the key markets where lithium-ion batteries are making waves namely China, Japan, South Korea, and the United States. For each market, we analyze the industry through the various industry segments as well.
– A look at the various growth factors and industry barriers includes an analysis of the declining profit margins of the lithium-ion battery industry, the growth potential of the automotive lithium-ion battery segment and the storage battery segment, amongst other factors. The rise of the Chinese battery market is analyzed in the factors as well.
– Market forecast for the global lithium-ion battery industry includes an overall industry forecast, a segment-wise forecast, a forecast for China's battery market, and an overall forecast for the major players in the industry.
– Companies such as Panasonic, Hitachi, Mitsubishi Chemical, Samsung, LG Chem, and others are analyzed through product profiles, company strategies, market outlook, investment risk analysis, company trends, financials, and a SWOT analysis.